Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Not Fair!

I work hard to be in a place of gratitude about things, but sometimes, maybe more often than I care to admit, my not-best-self will react by thinking or saying "that's not fair."  My not-best self notices everything I don't have or compares where I am, what I DO have to others.  Nearly always I know I have so much to be grateful for... that by any standards we are unbelievably fortunate. And that "Comparison is the thief of joy." (Thank you Theodore Roosevelt) But then there's a big tax bill, a vacation delayed, an expensive car repair and, you know, things just don't feel very fair.

Recently that whole fairness thing got turned on it's ear for me.  The short version... a person I work with in Wisconsin knew I was taking Ava to the One Direction concert in Chicago over Labor Day weekend.  And he also knew our seats weren't that great. Through a series of his business connections he was able to get us 9th row (yes, 9th row) seats on the floor for the concert. Sure, there are business reasons for my colleague to do something nice for me, but for me this is a moment of grace. What was already destined to be a fantastic experience for our sweet Ava got made a little richer.

When he called me to tell me he had the tickets I started yammering my thank yous, struggling to find the right words. I said, "there's no way to thank you and I know you don't know what an awesome kid Ava is, but I hope it feels good to know you've played a role in a lifetime memory for her."

I swear I hung up the phone and thought "this isn't fair..." in the most amazing possible way.

Even with all the grace and the sincere belief that these tickets were a done deal, I couldn't bring myself to tell Ava until I was really sure.  So I knew for weeks and didn't spill the beans. There was quite a bit of dithering (on my part) about plane tickets, hotel rooms and the tickets we already had.  Meanwhile Ava was day dreaming about running into Harry at Five Guys and having a REAL CONVERSATION.  Probably about hair care products because they both have a totally crazy salad.

When I got word the tickets were on their way I finally told Ava. She got shaky, teared up and ran to her room to play a little 1D music at top volume.  It is difficult to express how glad I am this unexpected good fortune came our way.  This is really going to be something....


No comments: